Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Start of the second week

One down, three to go! We started our second work week yesterday and I definitely feel more adjusted now. The kids are used to me and much more talkactive and wanting to play. However, yesterday the teacher (a female inmate at the prison) decided that she wants to learn how to sew so she can work in that facet of the prison instead so we are on our own. This is slightly overwhelming because we're now responsible for creating lesson plans and trying to get the kids to listen to us in our still somewhat halting Spanish. Wish us luck! Yesterday wasn't too bad but it's definitely a big challenge trying to teach about body parts and animals when I sometimes have trouble remembering the words myself. I guess this is what people mean by "total immersion!"
Sunday was definitely a day of rest or as it's called here "dia muerte," meaning "dead day." Everyone caught up on sleep and not much else! That's fine with me though, I was ready for some down time.
This week we are working and in the afternoon visiting different sites and listening to several speakers, one on the economic situation in Peru and another one discussing the role that the cocaine trade has in Peru. We'll also be getting ready for our upcoming trip to Macchu Picchu this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment