Saturday, June 26, 2010

Last Week!

I can't believe I am writing my about my fourth and final week here in Peru! This week, and this whole trip, went by much too fast and saying goodbye to the children and the other volunteers was much harder than I had imagined.
Friday was tough, as it was the last day I was with the children from the prison. However, we also heard some great news! One of my favorite children, Wilmer, was released along with his mother after spending over two years there. I was so happy to hear that this little boy would finally sleep in a normal home, attend an actual school, and live a more regular life. We took the kids to a local parade at the plaza downtown, where they fed the birds, bought some small toys, and ran around like crazy. Dropping them off at the prison was immensely difficult, despite knowing that there are many people still here who care deeply about their well being. I just worry because I feel that many of these children will have no real say in the direction of their future and my biggest fear is that they end up like their parents, forced into a dangerous lifestyle because of a lack of other options. The closing of CCS in Ayacucho makes this danger more plausible and I sincerely hope that another organization will pick up where we leave off.
Today was a perfect last full day. We went to a kindergarten about 20 minutes away from our house and completely redid the inside. We took down all the old decorations, cleaned and repainted the walls, and hung up colorful new decorations. It took about six hours and we left tired and dirty but completely thrilled with the tangible difference that was made. The school is located in an extremely poor section of Ayacucho and has no running water or electricity. Many of the neighbors are illegal squatters, who cannot afford other housing. Despite this obvious poverty, the many parents and students who came by throughout the day were clearly thankful for the help and were excited to see the small renovations we made.
It's hard to sum up this experience in a photo album or a blog. This country is a combination of unreal beauty, desperate poverty, vivid colors, and amazing people. I feel so lucky to have met the children, the staff, and the other volunteers over the past four weeks and am confident that many of these friendships will be life long ones. Leaving is bittersweet, as I am ready to come home and see my friends and family but I am also so sad to say goodbye to this country and its people.
There have been some points at which I do not feel I made as big of a difference as I had hoped. I think I came here somewhat naively thinking that I would be able to dramatically and postively alter the lives of these kids and be able to see clear results by the time I left. However, at the end of my four weeks here, the kids still struggle with their colors and numbers and many are obviously overwhelmed by their strange living conditions. I think it is unfair that these children are also paying the price for a crime committed by their parents but I am not sure what can be done about it. It is a cultural belief that children should stay with their mothers for as long as possible and my personal opinion is not going to sway that perspective. However, after voicing these concerns to some people, I am reminded that even the littlest things can make a difference. Even though I was not able to remove these children from their upsetting circumstances, I still helped to make them feel loved and appreciated every day I was with them. Even if my presence here was only a temporary distraction from their troubles, this small nicety was surely appreciated by both the children and their mothers. One my last day in the prison daycare, one of the mothers hugged me and asked who was going to take care of her son once I left. I told her she was a great mother and was more than able to provide the love he needs. Proof of that was her willingness to do whatever it took to keep her children from going hungry. Her choice may not have been the right one but I don't believe that anyone can pass judgement unless they have been in a similar dire situation and have had to make a difficult decision. This trip has really given me the ability to more clearly view both facets of an issue and be less likely to make a hasty decision about which side is "right."
I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to experience Peru in such a profound and intimate way. Traveling to incredible places like Machu Picchu as well as struggling rural communities showed me the vastness of this country and the needs that plague all regions of it. I am sure I will continue my connection to this place through the friendships I have made and am excited to see where these relationships go.
Thanks for reading about my adventure here and feel free to email me if you have any questions!

1 comment:

  1. Keep on the great job. You are probably one of the very few people that I know, who not only dreams to change the world, but she actually does it!

    ReplyDelete