Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Half a week in

Even though it's only Wednesday night, I feel like I have been here forever! The past few days have been so busy but so much fun (for the most part). Tuesday started off a little rough because I either 1. drank some bad water, 2. ate some bad fruit, 3. had some bad milk of 4. all of the above because I woke up really early extremely sick to my stomach. I felt so bad all morning that I didn't go to my first day of the internship which was sad but very much needed. I finally started to feel better late in the afternoon and was able to sit in on a talk from a local man who worked with the leader of the Shining Path. We also had our Spanish lessons and heard about possible weekend trips that we can partake in. I decided I wanted to go to Macchu Picchu! That trip will be next weekend and I might be going to the Amazon on the following weekend.
Today I was feeling much better and went to work at the nursing home. Wednesday's are our day off from the prison because it's visitors' day and there are already a ton of extra people so we're not needed. The nursing home was a great experience, despite the language barrier as most of the residents spoke the Incan language Quechua and I can barely pronounce "hello." The people were so friendly and just wanted to talk and dance with us despite the fact that none of knew what the other one was saying! We were there from 8 until 12 and the home was surprisingly beautiful, with an outdoor section with various exotic birds walking around and beautiful flora surrounding the area.
After we returned home from work, we grabbed a quick lunch and left for a tour of a nearby highlands town and the Wari ruins. It was about a 50 minute beautiful drive through winding roads and we ended up on top of a mountain overlooking the city we're living in and all the stunning areas surrounding it. We walked through a really cute town, did some shopping and then headed to the nearby Wari ruins. We toured the site, which was full of burial chambers and sacrificial sites and a few of us even went into a long tunnel leading to a big underground grave. We finished up around 6 and made it back for our Spanish lessons. Some of us decided to go out for dinner and ate at a really great nearby restaurant.
I'm exhausted now since I've been getting up around 5am everyday since I've gotten here. For those of you who know me well, this is definitely out of character and completely unexplainable except for the fact I think my body subconciously knows that it the only time of the day the hot water seems to be working!
Buenos noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment